The Charter Council
The Blue Oak School is governed by a seven-member Charter Council with three parent representatives and four community members, chosen, in accordance with the bylaws of Blue Oak Charter School Inc. The charter Council is the entity which is held accountable for the operations of the school. It is the responsibility of the Charter Council to develop policies and put them in writing, so they serves a guidelines and goals for the successful and efficient functioning of the school. (from school charter)
The Blue Oak Charter Council meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 6pm at The Blue Oak School Campus. To view agendas and minutes click here.
Charter Council Functions
- Overseeing that the school’s program and operation are faithful to the terms of the charter and it’s mission statement;
- Adopting policies that further clarify and assist in maintaining the TBOS Mission and Educational Program;
- Ensuring that the school's academic programs are successful. All TBOS academic programs are evaluated and reviewed annually by the Charter Council. Evaluations are used to determine the effectiveness of the programs and provide direction for improvements;
- Hiring the Director and evaluating his/her performance yearly;
- Approving the hiring and termination of staff;
- Creating, serving on, and appointing people to necessary committees;
- Developing strategic planning and approving short and long term goals;
- Providing board orientation to all members, which includes introduction to the school and curriculum, classroom visits, and a binder of polices and information;
- Development of sound fiscal policy and business mangament practices and approving school expenditures;
- Level 3 conflict resolution.
Charter Council 2012-13 -(current term)
Jeff Plotnick: Chair, Charter Authorizer Liaison, Community Member (2012-2014)
Lyn Harrod: Parent Council Liaison, Community Member (2013-14)
Louthea Griffin: Community Member (2013-14)
Joc Clarck: Parent Member (2013-2014)
Rebekah Casey: Parent Member
Heather Halterback: Parent Member
To contact the members please use the following email address:
Emails sent to this address will go to all BOCC members.
Charter Council Election Process
The Charter Council members are elected for a term of two years. The officers shall be selected at the corporate Annual Organizational Meeting held within thirty days of the confirmation of Charter Council elections. For further detail please review the Charter Council bylaws.
2012-2013 Charter Council Election Schedule:
January Parent Council Meeting: Director will inform Parent Council of Charter Council vacancies.
February BOCC Meeting: Parent Council chair and Election Committee chair will be present at the February BOCC meeting for a reading and review of Charter Council BOCS Inc. bylaws concerning Charter Council elections.
March 1 to April 15: Accepting applications for Charter Council election
Early March: The Election Committee Chair presents the selections for the election committee and the election schedule to the Charter Council at their regular March meeting
Late March: Submit election message/announcements for the April Acorn, school website, email and posted bulletins.
Mid-April: Election Committee will post signs and website message informing the Blue Oak community of the upcoming election
Mid-April: Open forum for applicants to share their views with the Blue Oak Community
End of April: Submit election message/announcements for the May Acorn
First week of May: Election week. Ballot box shall be placed in the front office from 8 am to 3:30 pm Monday thru Friday. At 3:15 Friday, the ballot box will be removed and all ballots will be counted by 2 or more members of the Election Committee
Early May: Election results are posted on school bulletin boards and website
First week of June: Election results are ratified/approved by the Charter Council and the new members officially begin their term